Saturday, August 16, 2014

Remembering

In March of this year, my childhood buddy, Wayne Teeter, died unexpectedly. We were nearly the same age. Wayne was born exactly two weeks after me in 1944. He would have been 70 years old today.

Last month I came across the following photo and blurb in a 1974 issue of the Carolina Beachcomber. I publish it today, on Wayne's birthday, as a tribute to an Ocracoke Island legend.


















"Wayne Teeter, owner of Pony Island Restaurant, also has an interest in horses and is pictured here with a week old colt, 'Creation's Crazy Horse.' He was sired by a beautiful and spirited stallion, 'Creation's Glamour' from a family of five world's harness champions. Rudy Waller owns the mare, Honey, and was on hand to show off the beautiful animals to the Beachcomber photographer. (Photo by Lucy S. Morris)"

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an article about the Ocracoke Crab Festival which was held each May from 1984 to 1989. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072114.htm.  

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:37 PM

    Philip,
    So sorry for your loss.
    You said your buddy, not my pal or my friend.
    This leads me to believe he was probably your best friend.
    Unfortunately, I've never had a best friend, so I can't say I know how you feel.
    Perhaps I'm the more fortunate one never to have lost such a treasure.
    I was wondering... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayne was a very close friend in my youth, but we didn't spend much time together in recent years. I still have fond memories of the times and adventures we shared when we were teenagers.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:37 PM

    The home we first knew on this beautiful Earth,
    The friends of our childhood, the place of our birth.
    In the heart's inner chamber sung always will be,
    As the shell ever sings of its home in the sea.

    Frances Dana Gage [1808-1884]

    ReplyDelete