Friday, September 12, 2014

Women Seeking Men

Before you read the following, please take a look at yesterday's post about six young Ocracoke ladies in 1890. They placed an advertisement seeking young men "who can whirl in the giddy maze of the waltz," and were ready to  "indulge in seaside flirtation without stint or reservation."

Just hours after I published that post I discovered this short news article in the latest The Week magazine:

"Good week for...Single men, after a feminist commune in Brazil that is populated by 600 women appealed for bachelors to move to the town. 'I haven't kissed a man for a long time,' said Nelma Fernandes, 23."

It seems as if there is nothing new under the sun. Every time you turn around young women are looking for young men to add zest to their lives! So, take your pick...Brazil or Ocracoke. As the village girls sing to Blackbeard's pirate crew in Julie Howard's Ocracoke Island musical, A Tale of Blackbeard, "So, come on around, there's a lot to be found, at Euphemia's Boarding House."

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of late 19th century steamship traffic to Ocracoke, and the large Victorian hotel that accommodated the guests. You can read the article here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082114.htm.  

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Do you think the OI ladies ever got a response to their ad?



    I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. I wish I knew who they were!

      Delete
    2. Alas we will never know if they were our cousins or our aunts. :'(

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Today's post makes me wish I'd shared my original thought after reading yesterday's post, which was "I'd bet a buck you could find six ladies willing to run a similar ad these days." (With all due respect to the ladies of the island.)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete