Thursday, January 26, 2006

Winter Rose

Two evenings ago I walked across Howard Street to visit my cousin Blanche. After a pleasant evening chat I stepped out onto her pizer (that's the Ocracoke name for front porch) and spied a pink rose blooming. We commented on how remarkable it was that roses are blooming in January.

Blanche insisted that I take the rose home, so I opened my pocket knife and cut the stem. It sits on my windowsill reminding me that spring is not so far away.



Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is Gary Mitchell's essay "I Believe in Pot-Lucks," published January 23, 2006. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012306.htm.

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Not only do your journal entries offer pleasant insights into a favorite place, but your photos do even more so. The rose is beautiful, but the glimpse -- literally through the window -- of island life makes summer seem that much closer.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete