Sunday, March 26, 2006

Rumgagger

Not many folks have a rumgagger for a friend. I am happy to say that my good friend, Captain Rob Temple, is one of the best rumgaggers I know. According to Captain Rob (of the schooner Windfall) a rumgagger is a salty old seaman who frequents pubs and will tell you a tall tale of the sea for a few crowns or a round of grog.

Last night at the Deepwater Theater Rob entertained a group of about 30 people with an hour and a half of his poems and stories. Fiddler Dave played a few jigs and sailor's songs between stories, and Gary Mitchell was there to record Rob's performance live. So look for the captain's rumgagger CD on your next visit to the island.

A wonderful time was had by all!

You can read our latest newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news031806.htm. It's the story of traditional quilting on Ocracoke Island.

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:11 AM

    Hi Pip, greetings from Jakarta. Given the published and photographed accounts of the 3 of us and the home-made grog, i wondered how much meal wine was flowing last night. Can you do me a favor and say hello and CONGRATS to the Temple-Horns, just heard, and also to yourself and extended family. Hoping to get to the island for Ocrafolk.

    Tell me, if I wanted to conduct a workshop for 20 folk on Ocracoke, could I get into the Coast Guard station? If not, then where? I'd really like to bring some of my current world back to the island, and am looking for a venue, a facilitator (well, you of course), and a good enough excuse. I think we'd have the extra-curricular activities sorted. What do you think? Lots of bahasa love, Warner

    ReplyDelete