Friday, April 14, 2006

Grass Cutters

Ocracokers generally don't have lawn mowers. We have grass cutters. Nowadays, of course, they are almost all gasoline powered, not push-type,. Years ago there was actually little need to cut the grass. Most yards were sandy and often peppered with sand spurs (or even "pickle pear" cactus). Nearly everyone had chickens & horses. They typically managed the lawn care. And no one was trying to capture any awards for landscaping.

Ocracoke is still pretty laid back, although most yards boast more grass now than in days gone by. As I write I can hear several grass cutters purring in the distance. It's that time of year again. I suppose I should start mine up and make my yard a bit more presentable.

You can read our latest newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news031806.htm. It's the story of traditional quilting on Ocracoke Island.

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:55 PM

    Where I live "grass cutters" are the morning alarm clocks as well as the evening lullabys. In my neighborhood we all use push mowers (yes, they are gasoline powered!) and we are constantly mowing..walking..mowing...walking..Ahhh, spring!

    ReplyDelete