Thursday, April 24, 2008

Morning Adventure

I missed most of the rain. I was off-island for much of the last several weeks, but Amy (and just about everyone else on the island) told me how wet it's been. I did get back home last Friday and was able to get to the Portsmouth Island Homecoming (see the link at the bottom of this post) on Saturday. Luckily, the weather on Saturday bordered on perfect. But then it rained again the next several days, sometimes in torrents. Everything is still wet outside, but it's slowly drying out.

Right now it is bright and sunny with temperatures in the low 70s. It was the perfect day to take a little adventure with Lachlan. We wandered down sandy paths, stopped to look at a turtle (I didn't recognize the species), played in the sand, found our way to the water's edge, & discovered a hermit crab. Lachlan decided to explore the woods on his own and I let him go. Barefooted, he climbed over branches, logs, and thickets, then disappeared down a narrow path. I thought he'd be right back, but he wasn't, so I set out after him. He was nowhere in sight. I called out, only to hear a quiet lament: "I've lost my way."

So we scrambled back to a convenient spot and ate a banana.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an account of the 2008 Portsmouth Island Homecoming. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment