Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sitting on the Porch

We were out of milk this morning so I rode my bike down to the Community Store before breakfast. Cousin Ed was relaxing on the bench and I sat down in one of the rockers to visit before going inside. In short order Captain Rob walked up and took a seat beside Ed. We chatted for a while about the latest island news, told a joke or two, and watched folks amble by. A visitor walked up on the porch, smiled, and stopped to greet us. I felt compelled to explain. "It used to be," I informed her, "that the old men would sit here on the porch and swap stories. Now they're mostly gone, and it's just us younger folks sitting here in the mornings."

She laughed before walking to the door, leaving us to sit there pondering our growing island role.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Lou Ann's account of installing an old-fashioned pitcher pump. You can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:31 PM

    Tough Life! I sigh. Wished I could be on the "pizer" swapping stories and talking about the dingbatters on the island or the Hatterasser. Or to hang out at the "ditch." My wish is to become an O'coker before my last days. At least an implanted one. I am by heart now! I'm trying. Bogue On dear friend!! Hope to be back in Oct.
    Terrie @ Walkertown NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Glad the Community Store is back open, it was always a great place to hang out and chat with locals. That visitor that just spoke, should have joined you all, she would have learned a thing or two I'm sure.

    See you in November if not before.

    Nollie

    PS - Pam was looking at real estate on island last night, glad I made her get off that site.

    ReplyDelete