Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Equinox

Yesterday I reported on Bill's bike, but neglected to mention the equinox*, the beginning of autumn. And it sure feels like fall today. Temperatures are in the low 70s, and there is a stiff breeze rustling the trees. Actually the wind velocity is 20 mph or more, with higher winds forecast for tomorrow. Conditions off the coast are creating not only higher than normal winds, but I understand the sea is building also. I'll walk out to the beach later today and see for myself. This is the kind of weather that energizes folks, and reminds us once again that we live in a remarkable place.

*The tilt of the earth's axis, and the earth's revolution around the sun create the solstices (when the sun is highest in the sky [mid-summer, the longest day of the year], and lowest in the sky [mid-winder, the shortest day of the year]), and the two equinoxes (spring and fall) when the days are of equal length.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Summer is my favorite time of the year. But when you talk about the Fall on the island, you make it sound alright. I am cold nature so now is the time that I dread. I will be seeing you in 16 days. Can't wait. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:49 PM

    Philip,

    If you ever have an opportunity, could you describe what it's like on the Island when things start to shut down for the season? How long do most of the restaurants and shops stay open, and which ones remain open all year? I've always wanted to come down in the off-season, and I'd love to hear more about what it's like. Always enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete