Sunday, May 31, 2009

Porch Swing

A porch swing is a southern tradition. On beautiful spring days like we've been having now for weeks it is simply a delight to sit on the porch swing in the late afternoon and chat with neighbors who drop by, listen to the birds, enjoy a cool drink, or read a bit.

My swing needs a little TLC. Maybe I'll take it down this afternoon, repaint it, and replace the chains. Or maybe I'll just enjoy it one more day, and work on it tomorrow.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is "Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke" by Lawton Howard. You can read it here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:39 PM

    Oh yes before and after photos are in Order. What is a popular color?? your Alma mater was it UNC? Are you a Tarheel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about photos. Everything looks the same -- hunter green porch swing, gray porch deck. It's just that there's no more peeling paint.

    My alma mater? Gettysburg College. (NC has the best battlefield monument!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy1:38 PM

    I am a UNC alum way up here in PA - not far from Gettysburg. I, too, have an old timey Ocracoke porch swing on my front porch. I got it for myself years ago so I would never forget the good times in the swing at Vera's, or Lydia Freda's or Maude Thomas'. I even had my own back then, too, and a couple of rockers.

    ReplyDelete