Thursday, November 12, 2009

Storm Report

I've just rolled out of bed after a rainy and windy night (it's Thursday morning) and want to post a preliminary report on the storm situation.

Apparently the damaging part of this storm has been north of Ocracoke. We have had heavy rain since Wednesday about noon. I drove around the village last night about 10 and there were several inches of water in all the usual low spots, but there has been no water from storm surge.

The wind was pretty calm all day Wednesday; it finally kicked up about 11 Wednesday night. I can't tell you how strong it was because the power also went out about 11 and came on around 5 AM. We're showing 12 mph winds now on my computer but just a breeze in my yard.

Weather alerts for Hyde County were dropped last night, but two just popped up: high surf warning and high wind warning until Friday.

I'll ask around about any damage up the beach and report more later.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:59 AM

    I've been watching this storm do some damage to us here in VA and to the OBX. What I'm interested in is whether there has been any further damage to the **Nights In Rodanthe** house up the beach. It looked to be in a very precarious state on recent web cam photos and currently the camera is pointed toward the Sound.

    If you find anything out, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:11 PM

    I heard it fell into the ocean. Can anyone confirm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the house has not fallen into the ocean yet (which I had also heard and wrote about on my blog, but noted was unconfirmed). See pictures here: http://islandfreepress.org/2009Archives/11.11.2009-WickedCoastalStormForecastToBringCoastalFloodingAndHeavyRain.html

    (Click "Mirlo Beach and the S curves" at the bottom of the page.)

    ReplyDelete