Sunday, July 11, 2010

Power Yacht

Several days ago I took Lou Ann out for a little cruise in my 18' skiff. She wanted to make some photographs of Ocracoke village from Silver Lake, so we motored around slowly looking at the lighthouse, historic homes "down point," sailboats anchored in the harbor, and other sights. On our second pass by Captain's Landing Motel we were hailed by the captain of a large motor yacht tied up to their dock.

"Where did you get that skiff?" he wanted to know. I told him my dad had built it about 35 years ago.

"Here on the island?" he asked. I said it was one of the last wooden skiffs built right here on Ocracoke. He told me several times how beautiful it was, and how much he enjoyed seeing us go by.

I guess you don't have to be the captain of a large, expensive vessel to garner attention from other boaters!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a tribute to independent spirit and island character Don Wood. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062110.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Please post the photos you guys took ! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look for photos in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete