Thursday, December 09, 2010

1,2,3,4,5 & Mama

A little over a year ago a local lady called and told me she had found a mother cat with 5 newborn kittens in her grandmothers shed and needed to remove them for safety sake. Putting it that way of course I took them in. Not wanting to become attached and trying to adopt them out, Frank and I decided not to name them. But we had to call them something so we numbered them. 1,2,3,4,5 & Mama. 2,3,4 & 5 are long hair pewter gray and 1 & Mama are long hair pitch black, all beautiful. I found homes for 4 & 5. Now we have four cats numbered 1,2,3 & Mama which our friends and family find amusing, somehow. They answer to their number and Willie knows them by name or number - so.... what's in a name? or number?

Jude
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on the photo below to view a selection of pewter serving utensils from Village Craftsmen's online catalog.



Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of the early twentieth century Doxsee Clam Factory on Ocracoke island. Click on the following link to go directly there: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112110.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:59 AM

    Jude, I will say giving your kittens a number instead of a name does make it a whole lot easier! I took in several kittens w/ the Mama and of course, three years later have kept three of the five kittens. Trying to call "Fluffy Wuffy", "Patches Batches" and "Abby Babby" very quickly gets me all tongue tied. I should have tried your method and just given mine numbers, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:51 AM

    I once knew a golden lab named Uno. Perhaps if you had named them in a foreign tongue duex trios quatro for example I could see you getting attached to them The Prisoner that Patrick McGoohan was number 6 right lets have him respond he is still around right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:47 AM

    Not sure if Patrick is still around but it was a great show. From experience I can say that one can become attached to a number just as easily as a name. If I had only known!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:25 PM

    How do you not become attatched to a little creature that you spend any time with?? I wish I were closer. I probably would have taken at least two....

    ReplyDelete