Friday, October 31, 2014

Shark

I am not sure why, but it is rare to find sharks' teeth on Ocracoke's beach. However, several days ago I found an entire mouthful of one shark's teeth!

This critter was lying on the beach, not too far above the high tide line. If you enlarge the picture you will see that he still has an impressive array of sharp teeth. I did not try to retrieve any of them.















I am not sure what species of shark this is. Perhaps one of our readers can enlighten me.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a 1910 article about waterfowl hunting. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102114.htm

3 comments:

  1. Bear MacDonald8:47 AM

    No pun intended, but it is my guess that is a common sand shark. Small ones are commonly caught by surf fishermen along the Atlantic.

    A note on yesterday's post. I hope that one of the respondents was having some humorous fun with us. I would venture to guess that your yard guests were of Pennsylvania Dutch heritage rather than rural Appalachian. The dutch oven has been used for centuries by many cultures as an excellent method of food preparation. I have always been open to trying the culinary offerings of anybody, anytime, anywhere.

    Did your guests use any interesting phrases such as "Outen the lights." The other day my mother threw a strange one at me with "Eating yourself poor."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear, maybe you are correct. It just didn't look to me like the typical small sand shark that surf fishermen often catch.

      Our "cooking guests" told me they are members of the Church of the Brethren, but grew up Southern Baptist. They are from western North Carolina.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:23 PM

    My bet would be Sand Tiger.

    ReplyDelete