Thursday, December 10, 2015

What & Where

Not long ago, as I was biking around the village, I noticed this lonely structure sitting in a now-empty lot. Although island residents and many long-time visitors to Ocracoke will know what this is, I suspect there are some of our readers who will be puzzled.

If you do not recognize this object, you can learn what it is, and see photos of many more, here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102110.htm.














For those of you who can identify this structure, I wonder if you know where it is located. If you think you know, please leave your answer in a comment.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Capt. Horatio Williams and his schooner, the Paragon. You can read the story here: www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112115.htm.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like a cistern. I have no idea of the location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:26 AM

    As a child, my bff and I would entertain ourselves with a hand clap / slap routine and sing a little ditty along with it to keep time. Perhaps your readers remember the song but the words are as follows:

    Playmate
    Come out and play with me
    and bring your dollies three
    climb up my apple tree
    look down my Rain barrel
    Slide down my cellar door
    and we'll be Jolly friends
    For ever more.

    Now as a child I did not have a cellar or a rain barrel but those words certainly roll off one's tongue and are certain to pique a child curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:33 AM

      Dear me, You Tube has several versions of this engaging entertaining activity. For a walk down memory lane and a few corrected and additional lyrics search " Say say oh Playmate come out and play with me" LOL you know it seemed like just yesterday...but it wern't

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:55 AM

    cistern

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is a photo of an old island water cistern. The cistern is located next to Corky's Store.

    ReplyDelete